Pattern: Plainweave, mostly purple with slight, somewhat random blocks of color in warp and weft
Using the Weavolution Weaving Calculator (http://www.weavolution.com/weaving-calculator):
|Warp Sett||6 epi|
|Warp Length||70” (1.9 yards)|
|Length to Weave||36” under tension, 33” relaxed|
|Width in Reed||36”|
|Warp Required||410.4 yards|
|PPI||6 (to get 216 picks, trying to balance with epi)|
|Weft Required||199.6 yards|
|Actual Length||32” (plus 2” fringe on each end)|
|Actual Width||30” (end) – 30.5” (beginning)|
Bernat Softee Baby Solids & Marls
DK / 8 ply; 100% Acrylic ; 362 yards / 140 grams
30185 Soft Lilac – 517.3yd/200g (1.43 skeins)
Bernat Super Value Solids
Aran / 10 ply; 100% Acrylic; 426 yards / 197 grams
07445 Yellow – 136.6yd/63g (.32 skeins)
53221 Soft Fern – 160.6yd/74g (.38 skeins)
I actually sleyed this blanket twice. The first time, I used my 12-dent reed in every other dent, which was great until I actually tried to weave. The Super Value ended up being so thick that it wouldn’t move smoothly up and down against the metal. After some shenanigans I re-sleyed in an 8-dent reed (0-1-1-1-0-1-1-1) and it was significantly better, which should have been obvious really, but I’d only had a 12-dent reed at the time.
I had the best of intentions at making a balanced plainweave fabric. I’d even planned out my 216 picks in WeaveDesign! During weaving it didn’t seem so balanced to get a fabric I liked, and when I ran out of picks at about 20” I realized that I’d have to improvise to finish it off. I do like the look and cushiness, but balanced it is NOT.
I had a HUGE issue with tension in this project! Not only were both of the yarns that I chose stretchy acrylic, but the two types were of slightly different stretchinesses. I did the best I could, and most of the irregularities came out in the wash, but it’s got a touch of waviness at the starting edge, and the two different yarns made the selvedges pretty wonky (but consistently wonky). Lessons learned!
I was especially proud of my hemstitching. The leading and closing edges feel solid and natural. I am pleased with the finished fabric, and I think it will be a great blanket (or artsy decorative throw). Not bad for my first planned project, I think. :) On to the next!